Today was our first official day of work and daycare. We've visited daycare, and I was actually working last week but Steve was home with Simon so it wasn't that big of a deal. I mean I was still away from him for the longest period of time ever, but he was with Steve so I wasn't wondering what he was up to, if he was crying, and if he thought I abandoned him.
This morning I took off bright and early so I could also leave early and Steve went in a little late so Simon didn't have as long of a day as he usually will. I was at work and doing well and then Steve sends me this:
Sooooo apparently in the few hours I was gone Simon graduated from high school and is headed to college? I wonder what he declared as a major? I will have to ask him tomorrow.
This pic was so dang cute I may have gotten a little teary but I'm pretty sure I quickly was distracted by a phone call/email/well-wisher stopping by my office. Which brings me to my next observation. I may forget Simon is no longer in Korea when I'm at work. This was my realization last week while in the office. Our home life has changed a lot, but work is the same. I wasn't sad about missing Simon when I was at work but more overwhelmed with emotion that the last 3 months happened at all. I've had a lot of emotional moments at work. I'm there a great percentage of my day, I always got "news" during the day when I was at work, and I have thoughtful friends at work that were willing to listen to me. I told a co-worker last week, "I feel like I was just sitting here crying about how he was never coming home and now he's just at home, like I'll leave here and go home and see him". Yep, super weird. I'm afraid one day I'll forget he's here and accidentally go to happy hour instead of picking him up.
Back to the day. Simon did great. He was reserved at times (which I'm actually happy about) but it doesn't sound like there was any crying. He mentioned us but was satisfied with reassurance about our pending arrival. When I showed up he was having a snack and gave me a sweet smile. I walked over to give him a kiss and Nicole (daycare provider) says, "He just taught us how to say milk in Korean". And right on cue his daycare bud "J" says "uyu". HA! omg. Apparently he repeatedly held his cup of milk up and said "uyu" until they realized what he was trying to communicate. He did the same thing to us. Hilarious. I guess he took a special liking to the baby and if he was around he mostly stood by him and held his hand. Sweet. I forgot there was a baby in his foster home, he is maybe missing him:( He isn't overly interested in Nicole yet, but really likes her son who is 14 and a very nice kid. He was there when I picked up and had looked up a Korean translator on his phone and figured out that "uyu" was milk and had looked up other words as well. Nicole did get a little affection on our way out the door though so I think he likes her just fine but is more interested in the "big boys". Then on our way out she sent us home with 3 homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies so as far as I'm concerned, daycare rocks.
This morning I took off bright and early so I could also leave early and Steve went in a little late so Simon didn't have as long of a day as he usually will. I was at work and doing well and then Steve sends me this:
Sooooo apparently in the few hours I was gone Simon graduated from high school and is headed to college? I wonder what he declared as a major? I will have to ask him tomorrow.
This pic was so dang cute I may have gotten a little teary but I'm pretty sure I quickly was distracted by a phone call/email/well-wisher stopping by my office. Which brings me to my next observation. I may forget Simon is no longer in Korea when I'm at work. This was my realization last week while in the office. Our home life has changed a lot, but work is the same. I wasn't sad about missing Simon when I was at work but more overwhelmed with emotion that the last 3 months happened at all. I've had a lot of emotional moments at work. I'm there a great percentage of my day, I always got "news" during the day when I was at work, and I have thoughtful friends at work that were willing to listen to me. I told a co-worker last week, "I feel like I was just sitting here crying about how he was never coming home and now he's just at home, like I'll leave here and go home and see him". Yep, super weird. I'm afraid one day I'll forget he's here and accidentally go to happy hour instead of picking him up.
Back to the day. Simon did great. He was reserved at times (which I'm actually happy about) but it doesn't sound like there was any crying. He mentioned us but was satisfied with reassurance about our pending arrival. When I showed up he was having a snack and gave me a sweet smile. I walked over to give him a kiss and Nicole (daycare provider) says, "He just taught us how to say milk in Korean". And right on cue his daycare bud "J" says "uyu". HA! omg. Apparently he repeatedly held his cup of milk up and said "uyu" until they realized what he was trying to communicate. He did the same thing to us. Hilarious. I guess he took a special liking to the baby and if he was around he mostly stood by him and held his hand. Sweet. I forgot there was a baby in his foster home, he is maybe missing him:( He isn't overly interested in Nicole yet, but really likes her son who is 14 and a very nice kid. He was there when I picked up and had looked up a Korean translator on his phone and figured out that "uyu" was milk and had looked up other words as well. Nicole did get a little affection on our way out the door though so I think he likes her just fine but is more interested in the "big boys". Then on our way out she sent us home with 3 homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies so as far as I'm concerned, daycare rocks.

I am so glad he had such a good day! Next thing you know he will have them all bowing!
ReplyDelete