Well I'm completely weirded out thinking about writing the end of summer post last year and it felt like we had passed some huge milestone and Simon was almost home. Then we waited 7 more months. But it seems like it wasn't that long ago...but then weird. I don't know. I won't find the words to describe it.
I'm also not completely absorbing the fact that a season is passing us. I know it was Spring when he came home, but it was such a warm Spring and being home with him that whole time....it just seems like it's been Summer this whole time. Next week it will be 5 months since Simon has come home. That's almost A HALF A YEAR. When did this happen? It still seems new, yet can't imagine life without him. I seriously cannot for the life of me figure out what I did with my time before he was here? Apparently watched a lot of TV.
Believe it or not there are actually a few things I didn't blog about this summer. One thing on my mind has been how Simon isn't as timid as I initially thought. In the beginning I couldn't get him to play on any playground equipment. I guess I underestimated how scared he was at the time. He only wanted me to hold him. He seriously just let me push him on a swing about a month ago. I'm realizing now, he was scared by how much we'd rocked his little world in just a few days and so glad that he knew he could just hold onto me. His favorite thing at the park is still pretending to drive, but its not that he is scared of or doesn't necessarily like the slide or swing. I think he is a rule bound adventurer.
I say this because he really grasps onto "rules". Whatever the routine is, is the way it's going to be going forward in this house so I'm extra careful about adding any random events. Just recently have I felt like it's ok to let him have a snack on the deck and not worry that the next time he eats he's going to scream to sit on the deck. He may ask, but is fine with me telling him that one time was for fun. A recent hilarious habit of his is to hold onto the stroller while walking. At daycare when they go on walks the "big boys" hold onto the baby's stroller until they get to the path where they can run around. We've been told Simon doesn't do much running:) Now, wherever we go when he gets out of his stroller he automatically holds onto it and walks right next to me. I'm not complaining because it's actually quite nice. But there have been a few occasions where I was like "Run! Be free my child!"
I'm also not completely absorbing the fact that a season is passing us. I know it was Spring when he came home, but it was such a warm Spring and being home with him that whole time....it just seems like it's been Summer this whole time. Next week it will be 5 months since Simon has come home. That's almost A HALF A YEAR. When did this happen? It still seems new, yet can't imagine life without him. I seriously cannot for the life of me figure out what I did with my time before he was here? Apparently watched a lot of TV.
Believe it or not there are actually a few things I didn't blog about this summer. One thing on my mind has been how Simon isn't as timid as I initially thought. In the beginning I couldn't get him to play on any playground equipment. I guess I underestimated how scared he was at the time. He only wanted me to hold him. He seriously just let me push him on a swing about a month ago. I'm realizing now, he was scared by how much we'd rocked his little world in just a few days and so glad that he knew he could just hold onto me. His favorite thing at the park is still pretending to drive, but its not that he is scared of or doesn't necessarily like the slide or swing. I think he is a rule bound adventurer.
I say this because he really grasps onto "rules". Whatever the routine is, is the way it's going to be going forward in this house so I'm extra careful about adding any random events. Just recently have I felt like it's ok to let him have a snack on the deck and not worry that the next time he eats he's going to scream to sit on the deck. He may ask, but is fine with me telling him that one time was for fun. A recent hilarious habit of his is to hold onto the stroller while walking. At daycare when they go on walks the "big boys" hold onto the baby's stroller until they get to the path where they can run around. We've been told Simon doesn't do much running:) Now, wherever we go when he gets out of his stroller he automatically holds onto it and walks right next to me. I'm not complaining because it's actually quite nice. But there have been a few occasions where I was like "Run! Be free my child!"
It just cracks me up every time he does it and I can't help but take a picture.
Here are the ways he has surprised me this summer. A couple months ago we went to the beach to hang out with my fam and they had a "zip line". Simon's watching it. No biggy. He indicates he wants to hang from this bar. Has never wanted to do anything like that. But ok, and he hangs from it.
After which, he informed me that he was ready for the zip-line.
OK so that was a bit shocking and hilarious.
Then I said he wouldn't like the bike trailer.
Then I said he wouldn't like the bike trailer.
And then he went for a ride and couldn't stop demanding bike rides for a few days.
When that died down, we let Simon find out that Gretzky had her own bike trailer and then he couldn't' stop demanding "puppy ride!"
And recently Simon has his first swimming pool experience. At first, he held onto me and didn't want to play around with his cousins. Their sweet friend Taylor had us over to her pool (and she was a fabulous hostess) and pretty soon Simon was having a great time with his cousins and Taylor. After he was comfortable playing around with them in the pool we decided to see if he would go off the diving board. With their help of course since he can't actually jump yet:) He thought it was hysterical to fall into the pool with me.
This picture has nothing to do with Simon's adventurous or rule-bound personality. It has to do with the fact that for a 2 year old I think he has a sophisticated sense of humor. He pointed to these circles and said "Cheerios. Yummy" than gave me a sly smile to let me know he realizes how hilarious he is and pretended to eat them.
Happy Labor Day









omg...I just love the stories! Zipline and puppy ride! so fun!
ReplyDelete