Sunday, November 2, 2014

Updates and Stuff

We received a written update on Archer and how he was doing at his 24-month appointment. We know we are very fortunate to receive these detailed write-ups as there is no "rule" to how much information you get on your child and we seem to be on the side of getting more information than most. The funniest information tends to be on his activity level. We're used to Simon who is mostly a little on the cautious side when it comes to climbing and not overly active by any means. I think most of his energy goes into the verbal parts of his brain....here are some excerpts in Archer's update.

  • Has a lot of curiosity about objects here and there and all around him.
  • If the caregiver suggests reading a book, he does not sit in one place: he listens but walks around.
  • Good at climbing to high places. He closes drawers and then tries to climb up, also climbs up onto the television. 
  • Also takes items out of drawers and then climbs in to sit in them.
But don't worry, it specifies that foster family is careful to make sure he does not fall when climbing. The day before I read this Simon asked me to carry him home from the park because he'd just get too tired walking the half block, so I think I'll train Archer to give Simon piggy back rides home (I refused to carry Simon home, btw).

It sounds like they have done some early potty training activities but nothing is really sticking, which I guess I didn't expect either. Apparently he makes it known when he is having a bowel movement so they've had him sit on a potty chair but then he won't go. He is also expressing discomfort when wet. So I guess if anything he may be potty trained by the time he gets here! A change is he suddenly does not like baths. He's been crying after having his hair washed so they've just been giving him a quick shower...awesome since I sent bath toys for his birthday since it was the one thing they constantly told us he liked! He has a good sleep routine, without waking up and wakes up in a good mood. He talks, but it doesn't go into a lot of detail about what he says. He follows directions and identifies basic body parts. He likes stickers so I'm thinking I'll send some sticker books for his Christmas gift. He sounds very easy-going and they continue to stress how charming he is and rarely whines. I'm not sure how much I believe this? A 2-year old who doesn't whine? They also mention that he "likes his friends, plays well and does not hit" and this caught me off guard. Like, he really is a little person and he has friends and plays with them? It sounds like he is very outgoing, no stranger anxiety and is friendly with others quickly. So hopefully that stays true and he will be comfortable playing with us right away. They also mentioned that he likes a checkered hat we sent him and he "always wants to wear it whenever he goes out". So I'm considering myself lucky that I have two boys who are hat lovers!

Archer has also broken the 35 inch mark and 31 lb mark. The latest and greatest (major sarcasm here) is that it's going to be awhile before we travel. It was announced that the Ministry who handles paperwork for Emigration Permission (EP) will not take anymore paperwork for the year. There is never really an explanation for why things are the way they are. It's possible we'll be in the next submission, but not a given. If we aren't in the first group submitted after the new year, then I think we're a safe bet for the 2nd submission. Because of all of the steps involved it can take about 6 months to bring your child home after being submitted. Because of this, my best guess is we're looking at more of a June home date. This is a hard pill to swallow. Especially since there is no explanation for the stop of paperwork and everyone knows it's not in the best interest of the children. It didn't help that we were given a small bit of hope that our paperwork would be submitted last week, so going from that to not being submitted for months kinda took the air out of me. But, we've been through this before and I clearly remember not caring about any of it once I got the call that we were bringing Simon home so I keep reminding myself of that and trying to focus on potential positives. So far I have- traveling to Korea in the summer should be beautiful and a good opportunity to sight see comfortably and maternity leave in the summer will rock, especially being my child is a "climber". Here are some of the photos we've received of said "climber" over the past year that have not been shared.

14 months

16 months

17 months

17 months


18 months

18 months

19 months
21 months- Notice how his foster mother is holding him in place...I think this is also the hat he likes.


23 months
This last picture cracks me up. There is a Facebook group of people adopting from the same agency. I'm the weirdo not on Facebook, but someone posted this picture one day to see if it was anyone's little boy in the background of her son's pictures and Alli saw it. Ha! It pretty much sums up how I picture his personality from their descriptions. Like, hmm I'll just go around the corner and see what's happened over here (and photobomb someone).


No comments:

Post a Comment