Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Effects Of The Cold Weather On Our Family

Simon has taken to counseling me through the cold weather and ridiculous commutes. Like seriously, I probably need to get it together so he's not responsible for calming my road rage.

It all started a few weeks ago. We were stuck in traffic and I hear, "Mom you just need to leave those people alone." OMG. Had no idea that I was muttering about their terrible winter driving and he overheard me. Yep, I needed to leave those people alone.

Last Friday we ran a quick errand. And then we were trapped on the highway for over an hour. It LITERALLY took us an hour to drive 3/4's of a mile. I had no snacks, no entertainment for him. We were running a quick errand and there was no way for me to get out of it. The next exit was 3/4's of a mile and everyone had to take it. So I'm thinking: OK, time for me to model good frustration tolerance. I calmly say, "Wow, this traffic is really frustrating me". Simon says, "You just do your best Mom. Just do your best."

Then this morning we are again, BARELY moving on the way to daycare. On a road that we take to GET TO THE HIGHWAY. Never in my life have I experienced a major back-up on this road. But I'm cool, I'm calm. Not even talking about it.

Simon: Mom, we should put on wings and get some jets and we could just fly over these cars.
Me: That's a great idea.
Simon: Let's talk to Dad about that.

(Come on Dad MAKE IT HAPPEN)

And lastly on our drive home tonight (after rush hour) Simon pipes up-

Simon: No traffic right now.
Me: You're right. There isn't.
Simon: That's good because sometimes the traffic frustrates you.
Me. Right again.
Simon: And then I tell you to do your best.
Me: Yes you do.
Simon: And that makes you happy.
Me: Yes, it makes me happy to have such a sweet boy.


1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahaha!
    No way! He is too much! :). Miss you guys! X

    ReplyDelete