The reason I've continued to blog is mainly so Simon can look back and know about what he was up to as a child. But lately I've been mostly blogging little "events" so I'm planning to try harder to post about the funny things or things he is learning. Maybe with a random picture or two (or ten). Today is all about the funny things he's said recently. Some may have to do with the male anatomy so hopefully you don't embarrass easily.
In my earlier post I mentioned the wedding we were at recently. Simon was full of entertainment that night. We walked into the bathroom area and after assessing the situation Simon declared clear as a bell "I need to go to the bathroom, a little bit of pee is going to come out of my penis." Awesome, so glad he chose that moment to talk loud and clear.
That wasn't the highlight of that evening though. Later on, Simon and I stopped to talk to some neighbors and my mom started walking towards us and he pointed to her and said, "There's my Grandma, she's kinda...a little bit different"
Another favorite exchange happened one morning as we were getting ready to leave for daycare and work. Simon was on the toilet and I had noticed some body parts were a little enlarged (Hey, I warned you not to read if you embarrass easily), but I wasn't sure if Simon was noticing as well. After a few moments this happened:
Simon: Mom, my penis is real big today.
Me: Yes well, you are getting older and bigger.
Simon: *looks down again* My feet are still little.
Simon's new technique when he is misbehaving is to pretend as though he has an injury to try get our sympathy. To make a long story short we'll cut to his "injury".
Simon: Mom! Mom! My toe hurts, something is not right!
Me: Here would you like to pat it with this towel (My sympathy level was low as you can tell)
Simon: Oh my big toe really hurts.
Me: What happened?
Simon: A CRAB snuck into the bedroom and BIT my TOE!
Me: Yeah, ok. I think you'll be fine.
The kid also has a crazy memory. This summer we drove by the place where he got his first haircut with Steve. Last August. It's just a brick building, nothing special.
Simon: Mom, what's that building?
Me: It's Lifetime *about to tell him he got his hair cut there*
Simon: I got my hair cut there.
Me: ?!?!?! *call Steve confirm he hasn't told Simon that he got his hair cut there*
And this is why when Simon talks about Korea and Umma and Appa and people look at me like I'm crazy and say "Do you really think he remembers?" I say "Yes". Because if he remembers something like that from a year ago then I'm pretty sure he remembers something as important as the people who cared and loved him for 22 months even if it was a little over a year ago.
He is also sweet, so sweet. He often tells me first thing in the morning: "Mom, I had a real good rest last night but I really missed you." :)
He has also been excited to start a new gymnastics class. One day, prior to starting, I found him upside down with his feet on the bed and his hands on the ground (Not unlike a pose by Steve while trying to get out of the kayak, Huey). I was like "Ah Simon, whatcha doing?" He replied, "Practicing for gymnastics."
And of course he is 3 so we have our fair share of power struggles and meltdowns. He is dedicated to his meltdowns, I'll give him that. And hoping he channels that dedication into other things later in life... But more importantly, when it's done he is his same loving self. We had a particularly rough morning one day last week and by the time we made it to daycare we were both wiped out. And when I got home late that night I was still wiped out. I asked him about his day and did my best to be cheery. And then he said "Mom, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry I was fighting with you this morning". And obviously he was forgiven. Steve popped in the door and said "Did he just apologize to you on his own?" and I said "Yes, didn't you tell him to?" and Steve said "No, haven't talked to him about it". (Not that I expect Steve to, I just assumed he must have or why else would Simon say he was sorry?!)
Now I'm ready for bed, and Simon is still up. Has been in bed since 8, but still talking and moving around etc. He might be growing out of nap, which makes me want to cry. I just last checked on him a minute ago and I told him "OK, Simon I'm going to bed now" (i.e. I'm not checking on you anymore so fall asleep already!) and he said "OK Mom, have a good rest". Same to the rest of you. Good night.
In my earlier post I mentioned the wedding we were at recently. Simon was full of entertainment that night. We walked into the bathroom area and after assessing the situation Simon declared clear as a bell "I need to go to the bathroom, a little bit of pee is going to come out of my penis." Awesome, so glad he chose that moment to talk loud and clear.
![]() |
| State Fair Taffey |
That wasn't the highlight of that evening though. Later on, Simon and I stopped to talk to some neighbors and my mom started walking towards us and he pointed to her and said, "There's my Grandma, she's kinda...a little bit different"
![]() |
| Spent about an hour and a half riding the John Deere's |
Another favorite exchange happened one morning as we were getting ready to leave for daycare and work. Simon was on the toilet and I had noticed some body parts were a little enlarged (Hey, I warned you not to read if you embarrass easily), but I wasn't sure if Simon was noticing as well. After a few moments this happened:
Simon: Mom, my penis is real big today.
Me: Yes well, you are getting older and bigger.
Simon: *looks down again* My feet are still little.
![]() |
Simon's new technique when he is misbehaving is to pretend as though he has an injury to try get our sympathy. To make a long story short we'll cut to his "injury".
Simon: Mom! Mom! My toe hurts, something is not right!
Me: Here would you like to pat it with this towel (My sympathy level was low as you can tell)
Simon: Oh my big toe really hurts.
Me: What happened?
Simon: A CRAB snuck into the bedroom and BIT my TOE!
Me: Yeah, ok. I think you'll be fine.
| Sculpture Gardens |
Simon: Mom, what's that building?
Me: It's Lifetime *about to tell him he got his hair cut there*
Simon: I got my hair cut there.
Me: ?!?!?! *call Steve confirm he hasn't told Simon that he got his hair cut there*
And this is why when Simon talks about Korea and Umma and Appa and people look at me like I'm crazy and say "Do you really think he remembers?" I say "Yes". Because if he remembers something like that from a year ago then I'm pretty sure he remembers something as important as the people who cared and loved him for 22 months even if it was a little over a year ago.
He is also sweet, so sweet. He often tells me first thing in the morning: "Mom, I had a real good rest last night but I really missed you." :)
He has also been excited to start a new gymnastics class. One day, prior to starting, I found him upside down with his feet on the bed and his hands on the ground (Not unlike a pose by Steve while trying to get out of the kayak, Huey). I was like "Ah Simon, whatcha doing?" He replied, "Practicing for gymnastics."
![]() |
| Crazy bird place at the farm |
![]() |
| Corn Pit |







Simon sounds like a bonafide genius. His vocabulary is remarkable!!! The last statement about 'having a rest' reminds me of Korea. It was one of those exressions they learn. Whenever I was struggling in Korea, someone told me to "take a rest". I learned to really cherish those moments...
ReplyDeleteLove,
Chance
hehehe. Your little Simon has a great vocabulary...I agree with the above comment!
ReplyDelete