Thursday, March 14, 2013

Closing In On One Year

Last week we passed our 11 month "Home with Simon" mark. It was a busy week filled with it's share of Funny Simon stories. I basically am shocked by at least one thing he says to me a day. For example, this day.
Simon: Guys going for a drive.
Me: Oh where are they going?
Simon: To see Barack Obama.
           Me: Of course, why wouldn't they be.


He continues to love daycare, including the entire daycare family. Nicole always seems to have a story or two about something he said during the day as well. Her favorite the other day was from their daily walk. The younger boys were in the stroller, and apparently it was icy, or "swippery" to some. I guess Simon went flying somewhere along the walk and ended up face first in a snowbank, legs and arms sprawled everywhere. He looked at her and said, "Uff, THAT was a close one". I love his positive attitude:)


Here he is with his daycare buds, including Nicole's son, who Simon loves.  And "The Kids" of course.


Steve and I have even been out alone a few times recently. We hired Nicole's son to watch Simon one day while we went out to eat. Simon also had his Aunt Tammy babysit recently while we went to a hockey game. A few hours before they were coming over I told him, "Remember, Auntie Tammy and Bauston and Savannah are going to come play with you tonight". He looked at me very seriously and replied, "Auntie Tammy just sits on the couch". HA! I thought this was quite hysterical and luckily Auntie Tammy didn't hold it against him. I mean really, the first time they babysat there was 4 tween girls there entertaining him. Pretty sure I'd just sit on the couch too:) However, the next morning at green glow time he came sauntering in our room holding a real glass of water like it was an Oscar and declared, "Auntie Tammy gave Simon a glass of water". I responded, "I thought Auntie Tammy just sat on the couch" and was given the look of death so apparently I'm not allowed to talk trash about Auntie Tammy.

Hmmm, let's see...Ok that reminds me. Simon pretty much repeats any phrase that I use.  Including "Hmm, let's see....". It is interesting having an mini-me to point out all of my quirks. He regularly says "Uffda" and uses it appropriately. He has recently rolled his eyes at me while saying "Barf Mom". He often responds "Thank you so much Mommy, I wuv it" whenever I give him something which is what I say to him when he gives me things while playing (except I say Love).

He is Ob-to-the-sessed with "Wheels on the Bus" right now and wants to watch videos of it any chance we'll give him. I'm only slightly mortified that my 2-year-old knows how to use netflix and youtube. His interests are a lot wider than they used to be though and I'm loving that he has a good time in any situation. His pretend skills are awesome and he is so much fun to play with. He is setting up all kinds of scenarios and giving everyone parts.

He has started swimming lessons with Steve and they seem to be enjoying themselves. The night before their first lesson I reminded him that he was going swimming with Dad in the morning and he replied, "Simon a good swimmer, like a baby shark". Kills. Me. I don't even  understand how he knows to put that together? Little kids are so much smarter than we give the credit for.

He also is loving school, especially his extra 2 hour preschool class where he stays by himself. His teacher is seriously the Kid Whisperer. Simon hugged her on the way out today and although I think of him is openly loving, he isn't the type of kid to want to just hug anyone. During our parent/child ECFE class he has always been SILENT when we separate. He is always happy and having a good time, but does not talk and will not participate in the group songs and actions. It doesn't bother me because he does all the songs at home and he knows all of the letters/numbers/colors that they are working on. However, a few weeks after the extra class (started in January) the teacher said, "Simon started talking today and didn't stop!" They are finally seeing the true Simon:) It was very sweet how excited the teacher was about it and told me she loved to hear what has been going on in his head. Now in the past couple weeks the teachers in our ECFE class have also mentioned he is talking  up a storm and today he even PARTICIPATED IN A SONG AND DANCE. YAY! So proud of my guy for being himself.

The rest of our life is revolving around the slow process of packing, but we're gonna have to get busy because we move next week already! Super excited about the move (and furniture shopping). Simon is loving packing also...except all he does is make the boxes into cars, pretend to pack, or unpack what we've just packed so he can  use the materials in his elaborate play schemes. We are dividing and conquering this weekend so hopefully we can get the majority done. Lastly, some of our favorite recent pics:

Packing Sequence






State High School Hockey Tournament


 Finally, a day at the park


We've befriended some girls and their Moms at ECFE and it's been fun hanging out with them a couple times outside of class.


And lastly, my favorite picture from today. Caught him coming in for a "big squeeze".

No comments:

Post a Comment