Apparently I have been receiving some negative feedback regarding my haphazard blogging skills as of late (Sharon!). I assure you, Simon was not stuck sitting on the toilet for a month:) However, we probably could leave him there for a month as long as he had someone to talk at. I've decided I need to make some sort of regular "Simon Says"column to capture the more hysterical things that he says.
Some of my recent favorites:
Setting, 10am on a Saturday
Me: Simon do you want to have bunny crackers for a snack?
Simon: Yeah I'll have bunny crackers, Daddy no like bunny crackers he'll just have a beer.
(Simon is a little obsessed with beer drinking. Daycare lady finally told us that during their morning "coffee chat" Simon tells her every day that Mommy drinks water and pop and Daddy drinks beer. Dear god.)
Me: Simon do you need to go potty?
Simon: (absentmindedly looks down at a piece of paper) I just gotta check this recipe quick...
Which leads me to my next comment. This.kid.can.man-nip-u-late. It took me awhile but I'm on to him and no longer worry about ignoring or disciplining for worthy behaviors. We had a Dec-Jan span of some insanity (on both of our parts) but I think we've found a spot of balance. However, here were some of the highlights from our tantrum days.
Simon: (tries to hit me during a tantrum)
Me: Simon it really hurts my feelings when you try to hit.
45 minutes later I put him to bed and walk out of the room.
Simon: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
Me: (goes back to check on him in a few minutes) Simon what is wrong?
Simon: It really hurts my feelings when you shut the door.
Mmhmm sure it does. I mean you haven't slept with your door shut for the past 10 months or anything...needless to say he now sleeps with his door open.
So yes, we've had a nice run of hitting type behaviors and after nap meltdowns. So a few weeks ago we marched on over to Barnes and Noble and purchased "Llama Llama Mad At Mama" and "Hands Are Not For Hitting". I don't know if that did it, but seriously on a Thursday he screamed and tantrummed after nap for a good 1.5 hours, we bought the books on Friday morning and had a talk, and it hasn't happened since. No lie that Friday he woke up, smiled and told me, "No hitting, no kicking, no screaming" and I gave him a gigantic cookie. Then I made dinner and when Steve came home to a happy child and sane wife with dinner cooked he couldn't help but comment that the day seemed to have gone better than yesterday. And I couldn't help reply "I made motherhood my b*tch today".
But really I'm so proud of how Simon is beginning to handle feelings of upset. We have even prevented some meltdowns by reading the Mad at Mama book, and he will ask for it when he is upset. Which I am A-OK with. He really is a sensitive boy and I think that maybe he just couldn't process feeling angry towards me and seeing an example of a character being mad at his Mom for some reason made him feel better about it. He is using so many feeling words lately. And not JUST to get his way (For awhile there he would do something naughty and then look at me and say "But I'm sad!" and ask for a hug. Way to put me in a tough spot kid!) He is usually so so sweet though and so sensitive about other's feelings. Today at school another little boy was a little upset and Simon told me, "Charlie sad, but his Mommy will take care of him".
He is still pretty clever though (and a boss at being stubborn) and will test anything out to see where it gets him. Last weekend while visiting my parents he was none too thrilled when he had to wait to go to the neighbors house. The neighbor, who is a farmer, and has tons of huge machinery had graciously offered for us to visit and try out one of his toys. So we called Kenny and he wasn't home and we had to explain to Simon that if Kenny isn't home, there isn't any keys to drive anything and he'd have to wait. I finally coaxed him in to play and he prompted went to the play telephone, dialed up Kenny and I hear: "Hi Kenny, it's Simon...good...home now? Have the key?" and then he looks at me and says "Mom Kenny home now". HA! I was all, "Oh great can I talk to him?" and Simon replies deadpan, "No." Omg. Luckily the next morning they were able to visit Kenny.
And my last Simon excuse-
Me: Simon it's time to brush your teeth.
Simon: No thanks I'll just do that at the new house.
Me: Um, I think we'll not be waiting a month to brush your teeth.
That's right folks, the Rambecks are moving! Plan for this blog to turn into a decorating blog. Simon who?
Some of my recent favorites:
Setting, 10am on a Saturday
Me: Simon do you want to have bunny crackers for a snack?
Simon: Yeah I'll have bunny crackers, Daddy no like bunny crackers he'll just have a beer.
(Simon is a little obsessed with beer drinking. Daycare lady finally told us that during their morning "coffee chat" Simon tells her every day that Mommy drinks water and pop and Daddy drinks beer. Dear god.)
Me: Simon do you need to go potty?
Simon: (absentmindedly looks down at a piece of paper) I just gotta check this recipe quick...
Which leads me to my next comment. This.kid.can.man-nip-u-late. It took me awhile but I'm on to him and no longer worry about ignoring or disciplining for worthy behaviors. We had a Dec-Jan span of some insanity (on both of our parts) but I think we've found a spot of balance. However, here were some of the highlights from our tantrum days.
Simon: (tries to hit me during a tantrum)
Me: Simon it really hurts my feelings when you try to hit.
45 minutes later I put him to bed and walk out of the room.
Simon: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
Me: (goes back to check on him in a few minutes) Simon what is wrong?
Simon: It really hurts my feelings when you shut the door.
Mmhmm sure it does. I mean you haven't slept with your door shut for the past 10 months or anything...needless to say he now sleeps with his door open.
So yes, we've had a nice run of hitting type behaviors and after nap meltdowns. So a few weeks ago we marched on over to Barnes and Noble and purchased "Llama Llama Mad At Mama" and "Hands Are Not For Hitting". I don't know if that did it, but seriously on a Thursday he screamed and tantrummed after nap for a good 1.5 hours, we bought the books on Friday morning and had a talk, and it hasn't happened since. No lie that Friday he woke up, smiled and told me, "No hitting, no kicking, no screaming" and I gave him a gigantic cookie. Then I made dinner and when Steve came home to a happy child and sane wife with dinner cooked he couldn't help but comment that the day seemed to have gone better than yesterday. And I couldn't help reply "I made motherhood my b*tch today".
But really I'm so proud of how Simon is beginning to handle feelings of upset. We have even prevented some meltdowns by reading the Mad at Mama book, and he will ask for it when he is upset. Which I am A-OK with. He really is a sensitive boy and I think that maybe he just couldn't process feeling angry towards me and seeing an example of a character being mad at his Mom for some reason made him feel better about it. He is using so many feeling words lately. And not JUST to get his way (For awhile there he would do something naughty and then look at me and say "But I'm sad!" and ask for a hug. Way to put me in a tough spot kid!) He is usually so so sweet though and so sensitive about other's feelings. Today at school another little boy was a little upset and Simon told me, "Charlie sad, but his Mommy will take care of him".
He is still pretty clever though (and a boss at being stubborn) and will test anything out to see where it gets him. Last weekend while visiting my parents he was none too thrilled when he had to wait to go to the neighbors house. The neighbor, who is a farmer, and has tons of huge machinery had graciously offered for us to visit and try out one of his toys. So we called Kenny and he wasn't home and we had to explain to Simon that if Kenny isn't home, there isn't any keys to drive anything and he'd have to wait. I finally coaxed him in to play and he prompted went to the play telephone, dialed up Kenny and I hear: "Hi Kenny, it's Simon...good...home now? Have the key?" and then he looks at me and says "Mom Kenny home now". HA! I was all, "Oh great can I talk to him?" and Simon replies deadpan, "No." Omg. Luckily the next morning they were able to visit Kenny.
And my last Simon excuse-
Me: Simon it's time to brush your teeth.
Simon: No thanks I'll just do that at the new house.
Me: Um, I think we'll not be waiting a month to brush your teeth.
That's right folks, the Rambecks are moving! Plan for this blog to turn into a decorating blog. Simon who?


Good Job Desirae - I'm glad you got him off the pot. I really enjoy your posts - Happy for all 3, no 4 of you. Need to include Gretsky too! Take care. Sharon
ReplyDeleteI'm dying about the daddy drinks beer part. Oh Simon!
ReplyDelete