We met Archer this morning! We left early since we needed to figure out the walking and subway and everything and it took about an hour to get there, still we were there 40 minutes early so we went to the little cafe that is connected. We were already sweaty messes from all the walking and stuff we had with us so a little time to cool off was needed. When we were here for Simon was accidently ran into him before we found our social worker and I was hoping we wouldn't do that again, but of course we step out of the cafe and into main area and out he comes with his foster mom. 15 seconds later and we wouldn't have seen him because they didn't see us and just turned the corner and walked up the stairs. Simon didn't notice him either so only Steve and I were aware. I had just been thinking to myself that I have been avoiding even thinking about meeting Archer and what was going to happen when I finally saw him. Sure enough I instantly welled up, so maybe it was good we saw him because I got that out of my system and was normal when he saw me:) He was dressed very cute in clothes we had sent, including a cute hat that Simon used to wear. Anyhow, we found our social worker and eventually headed up to find them. It was a little but different because they agency is so busy right now and a lot of families are visiting at once so they didn't have a playroom for us. We ended up in some room that had laundry going and like a table and sink and a tray of pretend fruit....I had brought a few toys but still there wasn't much to do and not a lot of room to move. Archer was a little indifferent to us at first, naturally, but he was quick to warm up and respond and a lot more chatty than I was expecting. He was easy to make laugh. I pretended to take bites out of the fruit which he thought was funny and then mimicked me but by actually putting the toys in his mouth. Steve made funny faces at him which he thought was hilarious and mostly I think Simon was viewed as competiton for the toys:) Which we had prepped Simon for so he was a really good sport and mostly gave Archer what he wanted. I think Simon had a a good attitude and liked that his little brother just wanted to be like him and have wat he had. Eventually Archer did some sharing with all of us and moved around a bit but there just wasn't much to do in general I had brought a couple balloons with and as soon as Simon started blowing one up Arch lunged for it and thought it was really funny when Simon let it go and fly around. Archer was super determined that he was going to blow it up and tried and tried the rest of the time. He seems pretty independent and was not looking for help. When I blew one up he wanted it so I gave it to him and he tried blowing it up more which resulted in the balloon blowing all its air in his face and it kind of scared him, which was cute and funny and he was fine. Archer's foster mom commented on how gentle Simon was and he said he has been waiting a long time to be a big brother and really wanted to meet his little brother. They seemed to think Simon was very sweet and hopefully feel good about us and where Archer will be. Arch was very expressive and used a lot of cute gestures to show us what he wanted so hopefully that will help with the communication piece. Also, I think he may just go after what he wants so he may not need much help:) I am have technical difficlties, big surprise, and cannot figure out how to get pictures posted from my ipad or phone so we're going to have to work on that. Sorry, I'm pretty sure pictures is all anyone want to see! Because of our room set up we didn't get a lot of great pictures anyhow, but Steve did manage to get a few on our nice camera which I don't think we will be able to post the until we get home...
Technical difficulties aside, thanks for keeping us posted! Thanks GAWD for instagram.
ReplyDeleteMy heart has heaved a big sigh of relief that this moment finally came! You all are such a special family!
ReplyDeleteI tear up just thinking about that first glimpse you got of him.
ReplyDelete