Thursday, April 11, 2013

Family Day

I'm finally getting around to posting about our Family Day. In my defense, we moved and have been busy. Not sure if I mentioned that yet, but we are in our new home and still lots to be done. Last weekend I demanded one room be complete and the only room that was even a possibility for was Simon's, so his room is done. It was mostly done already, but I added a stripe of blue paint around the top of his walls and we finally hung up shelves and pictures. Simon wasn't aware I was painting in his room on Sunday and then he came barging in while I was on the ladder behind his door so I was all, "Simon STOP!". Then he gets in his room, looks around and says, "Blue in my room?! Thank you so much Mommy I love it!" and I felt like a huge jerk:) Which was good (not the feeling like a jerk part), because for a second I was regretting the blue stripe but it's not my room and the person who sleeps in the room "wuvs it".



Thank you Pinterest for the book sling idea that I promptly put my Mom in charge of sewing.
Ok so technically it's not complete in that I haven't stained the trunk that my Dad made Simon. He thinks he is so cool having a bedside table like Mom and Dad.



 OK, got way off track there. FAMILY DAY! For those of you not "in the know", Family day is the anniversary of the day you finally have your child in your arms for GOOD. I also refer to "Plane Day" which is the day we actually arrived home with Simon. To celebrate Fam Day we went to the Children's museum and out to eat. We also gave Simon one of his gifts from Korea, which was a small elephant book. He received an American gift this year also, a Big Wheel. We had a great time and were feeling very reflective on the past year. It went quick. I remember when we counted our time together in days and weeks. I also can't help but think about how its been 12 months, but Simon was still with his foster family way longer than he has been with us. He was with them for almost 22 months. I know it's all hindsight, but thinking about that makes me realize all the more how difficult those first few months were for him. Currently, when I think about Simon I think about his silliness, but also his seriousness. He is such a little grown-up it cracks me up. Today I mentioned all the snow and how it might be slippery and he immediately took my hand. To help me.  :) We also had a very sweet moment on Fam Day while we were waiting for our table. I was holding him and cuddling and he pulled back and gave me a big kiss. Then kept kissing me, then put his hands on my cheeks, turned my head and gave me a very precious kiss on the cheek. I heard an "AWWWW" and looked to see the two hostesses staring as us and one said "I just want to take a picture". And then Simon and I both got shy that our sweet moment was witnessed and he got all flirty with the girls and hid his face. Goofball. But I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.









The pretend restaurant is a Korean Restaurant!

4 comments:

  1. Happy family day! Cute pics and story! Simon's room looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha! What are you doing inside that turtle?! Also, has Steve been doing squats because his butt looks FAB!?! :)

    Simon is a sweetheart and this post is fantastic! His room looks first of all VERY organized (I am WAY impressed)! and like such a fun little boys room! I love this first lil glimpse of your new place!! I can't believe it's been a year and I can't wait to hear all about Simon's adventures in the coming years as well! He is a sweet boy and lucky kid to have you guys! Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious and I love his room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day!!! You forgot to tell people that HGTV actually hijacked and did Simon's room. It looks AMAZING! Please.help.me.

    ReplyDelete