"You are Contemplative and Analytical by Nature"
Here Simon is chasing a chicken.
No, we're not at the zoo. We are at a local bookstore. This was our first visit and Simon instantly fell in love. First of all, they have a kid size purple door built into the large door. Simon thought this was the greatest. He opened it up and walked right in. Then he became a madman and started running through the place. I don't know why? It was like he instantly knew this was a special bookstore. Regardless he didn't stop moving until we left and I was kinda exhausted from trying to keep him somewhat contained. He was walking up to everyone and chatting. At one point he heard a baby crying and started running to look for her yelling "baby crying!". Luckily the baby's mother thought it was sweet and was not annoyed by his persistence in making sure she was "all better".
After chasing the chicken for awhile he yelled at some birds and sang "Twinkle Twinkle" for the ferret. The ferret was eating so I think he was just trying to provide dinner music.
We bought a new book to commemorate the occasion and I saw a book I've been meaning to buy as well. It's called "Twenty Things Adopted Kids With Their Adoptive Parents Knew". I've heard good things so I'm excited to delve in. A few chapters that sound particularly interesting include: I Suffered A Profound Loss Before I Was Adopted. You Are Not Responsible, Just Because I Don't Talk About My Birth Family Doesn't Mean I Don't Think About Them, Please Don't Say I Look or Act Just Like You. I Need You to Acknowledge and Celebrate Our Differences, and Birthdays May Be Difficult For Me.
Next we went to Pizzeria Lola to meet Steve for lunch and celebrate a bit more. We had never done the photo booth before so we decided to give that a whirl. The top right corner pics are my fave.
We stayed busy over the weekend as well.
There is a nice little pumpkin patch close to our house.
My favorite part of the pumpkin patch was when Steve wandered away to check out the bouncy house and Simon was trying to get his attention.
"Daddy... Daddy!....STEVE!"
I about fell over.
We also tried to make some Halloween themed treats. He we are mid-frankenstein making. Once they had their hair they looked a little more frankenstein-ish.
Simon is blowing us away with how much he is learning. He is regularly talking in phrases and understands so many concepts. Up/down, over/under, dark/bright, hot/cold/warm. He is very descriptive in conversation. He describes everything by color, but also by "big, little, dirty, wet, etc." He is just beginning to understand a few emotions so he is also into "happy, sad & scared". And careful if you describe yourself as any of those things because he will repeat it a million times until convinced you are just, "happy". He is also starting to be able to talk about his day so that is a lot of fun. Pronouns are coming together also so I can say "your shirt" and he understands that he says "my shirt". Or I can say "I'm going to..." and he'll say "You do it". He has known his letters, numbers, colors, and shapes for awhile now, but he is just learning to sing the ABC song and more regularly counting in order instead of just being able to identify the numbers.
We're very proud that he points to Korea on the map in his room and says "Simon born". In addition, he identifies the various oceans and landmarks such as the Egyptian Pyramids, Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Space Needle, etc. He's kinda bored with the map right now though and just likes to point to the Japanese Tiger Fish and Beluga Whale and then he tells the map goodnight. He is going to bed on his own with typically little fuss. He is sleeping in until almost 7 these days which is crazy to us. I wouldn't have thought even 3 months ago that we would be this far in our nighttime routine already.
Most importantly, he is sweet and kind and cares about other people. He is really thoughtful and tries to make others feel better if they are upset. At ECFE a few weeks ago the teacher told me that another little boy was crying after his mom left and Simon brought him a car to cheer him up (and it worked). We are told that at daycare he is very in tune to the baby's needs and if he is crying he pats the baby and says "There, there, baby". I've noticed a couple of times recently that he has started crying in situations where I think his feelings were hurt. Or if he thinks that Steve and I are upset with him. This is a tricky one. Sometimes we are correcting his behavior and he'll look at us like we just destroyed all his hopes and dreams because we tell him he's not allowed to touch the speakers. AND I think he has learned the art of the fake cry. But mostly our house is filled with laughs. He is pretty silly. I'll leave you with a recent conversation.
Simon: (5:57 and he has his face right in front of my face standing next to the bed) "Hi" [cheesy grin]
Me: Hi [For the love of pete go back to bed grin]
Simon: (pats my butt) Mommy poop?
Me: [confused look]
Simon: [I'm the funniest guy ever smile] "Noooooooo"
Me: [seriously go back to bed face]
Simon: "Mommy pee?"
Me: [confused look]
Simon: "Mommy peeeeeee?"
Me: "I'll go pee in the potty when I get up"
Simon: "Time to get up!"






No comments:
Post a Comment