Monday, February 28, 2011

No Update...Boo

I haven't been posting anything because I thought that we would get an update and that's what I want to post about.  Well it's been weeks and no update.  No idea when we finally will get the update and although we were told that we'd get confirmation of a 2011 visa for Simon at the end of February, we haven't gotten that either.  Boo.  
Steve made me a calendar recently.  The front says "The Year of Simon" and Simon is written in Korean.  At least that is what some website told him.  I love it obviously and it is up in my office.  I switched it to March before I left today and "Independence Movement Day" is written in English and Korean on March 1st.  I looked it up and it is a day to celebrate Korean independence.  It was this day in 1919 that several members of an underground movement read the Korean Declaration in Seoul.  They were protesting the Japanese occupation.  It is not the day that Korean's became independent, but it was a turning point.  Wikipedia always comes through: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1st_Movement


Today, the Korean people remember this day by reading the declaration in a ceremony in Seoul.  This seems like a good day each year to recognize Korea in some way and I'm guessing what we do will depend on Simon's age.  I read another blog and the writer suggested:
1.  Have a Korean culture day with your child (could be anything)
2.  Learn something new about Korea
3.  Make a Korean flag with your child
4.  Learn a new Korean word


We have some ideas to get us started.  This is a national holiday so no work in Korea tomorrow...so probably no updates either.  On the upside, tomorrow is March and that means one more month without Simon is behind us!






No comments:

Post a Comment